Westside Church ‘Regathering’ Plan
June 3, 2020
In light of the guidelines put forward by the California Department of Public Health, Westside Church of Redding presents its regathering plan for in-person worship beginning 10am Sunday, June 7, 2020.
- Before you come to church
- If you are not feeling well, have a cough, or find you have a temperature, please stay at home out of love for others.
- If you are feeling fine but are still hesitant to congregate around other people, even in light of the precautions we are taking, we understand! Please feel free to remain at home and join us for online worship until you feel ready to come. We will continue to broadcast our service live online at least through the end of June.
- Bathrooms will be clean and open, but we recommend using your bathroom at home before you come to minimize unnecessary traffic at the church.
- Please bring a facemask if you have one and be prepared to wear it out of love for others, regardless of your personal concerns. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided for you at the church. We understand it’s uncomfortable, but I’m confident we can endure it for an hour if it is for the benefit of others.
- Classes and Childcare
- The downstairs part of our facility will be locked and closed to the public on Sundays for at least the next two weeks.
- No adult Sunday School classes will be available for at least the next two weeks.
- No childcare will be available until the end of June. However, individualized children’s activity bags have been prepared and will be available for families to help keep your ‘wiggly worshipers’ busy during the morning service.
- When you arrive at church
- Westside Church staff, volunteers and other leadership involved in facilitating our Sunday morning service will be ready to direct you into the building and towards your seats. They will have been briefed on cleaning and disinfecting protocols, will be equipped with personal protective equipment (masks and gloves when necessary) and will work to remind and guide people into maintaining 6ft. distancing minimums throughout the course of our service.
- Signs have been posted at all entrances and bathrooms reminding people to:
- Stay home if you are not feeling well, have a cough, or find you have a temperature.
- Wash your hands frequently and feel free to use the hand sanitizer bottles available throughout the lobby and sanctuary.
- This plan will also be posted.
- Greeters with gloves and facemasks will be outside or just inside the double doors to hand you a bulletin and welcome you to Westside.
- Please wait outside until the people in front of you have gone through the doors. If you’d like to socialize before the service, please do so in the outside parking lots and not in the lobby.
- Children’s activity bags will also be available just inside the main entrance doors of the lobby in individualized bags.
- The main entry doors as well as the sanctuary doors will be propped open at all times.
- Sanctuary windows will be opened part way and fans will be on to allow for greater airflow throughout the sanctuary.
- Our drinking fountains will be shut off on Sundays during the month of June.
- Our coffee maker will be running but operated by one of our volunteers with gloves and a mask to serve you.
- Once you have a bulletin and can progress to the sanctuary, please do so as quickly as possible.
- Every other row of the sanctuary will be blocked off. We are trying to keep at least one row between people.
- We’re also asking family units to please sit together and not let your kids sit with other families for now. We understand this is hard.
- Please do not shake hands, share hugs, or have any form of physical contact if possible. This is so hard, but remember it’s not about you, it’s about those around you, okay? Please respect social distancing to the best of your ability.
- When we have our ‘greeting time,’ please remain in your own row and turn around and greet one another with a ‘holy wave.’ I know. It’s just not the same.
- Remember also that the service will be streaming live on Facebook, so there may be a time when a wide angle shot will show you in your seats. Let’s do our best not to show the world any disregard for safety protocols who might be watching.
- We will only be singing 3 songs during the service in order to keep it shorter. Please keep your masks on when we sing. Suggestions have also been made that I preach a shorter message. We’ll see, but don’t hold your breath.
- Following the sermon we will participate in the Lord’s Supper as usual. This will be prepared by an elder wearing gloves and a mask, and all the ushers will be wearing gloves and masks as well. They will not pass the trays but will walk down the empty rows so each person can take a double-stacked cup.
- As usual, we do not pass an offering plate at Westside Church, but there is an offering box on the back wall. If you prefer, you can keep giving online as well.
- When the service is over
- Our prayer team will not be available up front but you can fill out a prayer card from the seat back in front of you and drop it in the offering box in the back.
- If you wish to socialize after dismissal you may stay in your row, but we request that the majority of socializing after the service take place in the parking lot outside.
- There will be a table set up outside the front entrance with donuts for those who want the church experience to feel complete. Coffee will be available outside and served by one of our gloved, masked volunteers. It all sounds so mysterious.
Thank you for taking the time to read through our regathering plan. We understand this feels like a lot of unnecessary complications and restrictions, but for the sake of God’s glory and the good of others, and not for the sake of ourselves, I ask that you would do your best to respect and comply with these guidelines as you re-gather with us to worship our God in-person this Sunday.
Surrounded By Grace,